So I had my marks down, I was about to mix a dab of five minute epoxy up to tack the fins on when Stella called me upstairs...
After dealing with her crisis, I checked my emails...
So I set the already made and properly foiled fins for the Orangescicle aside and set about carving some Balsa fins.
I would do Bamboo but I have not found a source yet and I do want this board done.
"Thin them out, especially at the tips. No more than an 1/8th inch 2 inches from the tip..."
Balsa is interesting to work with. Soft and pliable along the grain, prone to cracking or splitting.
"Keep 1/4 inch cordage. starting at 2 inches back from the leading edge..."
It tends to tear out.
"Make the trailing edge as sharp as possible..."
So I cut the templates out of the Balsa and held the ply fins in one hand and the Balsa
in the other.
"Now you have it, dumbass, its a whole nutha level..."
80 percent lighter and they float.
Yeah, it is a whole nutha level.
Progression, learning and listening.
It sets the Orangescicle back a day but
with 40 knots on the water, I guess I am in no hurry.
Thanks for the tip and info, dumbass.
I am also working on a speed/egg shape for Randy, an outline thats been refined and tweaked. I have the colors done (no resin tint on this one) but the hang up is the logo, finding rice paper and a printer willing to transfer the logo and go through that has been a hard call in my neck of the woods...
Back to the Dungeon of Foam, see ya.